Instructions and FAQ for Combining Parcels
When can parcels be combined?
- Parcels can be combined for tax purposes from January 1st – April 1st of each year using the Taxpayer Real Property Return. Parcels can also be combined each year during the 45 day appeal period which is listed on your Annual Notice of Assessment.
- If you miss either of these deadlines, you will need to wait until the following year to apply to have your parcels combined.
- You must come to the ASSESSOR’S OFFICE, located at 1 Broad Street, Suite 104 Ellijay, GA 30540, to have your parcels combined. Having the new survey recorded in the Clerk’s Office by your surveyor will NOT combine your parcels.
What criteria must I meet to have my parcels combined?
- You must be the January 1st owner of ALL parcels.
- Ownership on all parcels must be an EXACT match. (For example: If John and Mary Smith own one parcel and only John Smith owns the other parcel, it is NOT a match. John Smith Jr. owns one parcel and John Smith owns the other parcel, it is also NOT a match). Please contact the Assessor’s Office at 706-276-2742 if you have questions regarding ownership.
- Zoning must be an EXACT match.
- Parcels must be contiguous. (If parcels are separated by water or a road they CAN still be combined.)
My parcels are in a subdivision, can I combine them?
- If your parcel is considered to be in a subdivision (either by the Planning & Zoning Office or per the property description on your deed), the Board of Assessor’s policy requires you to have a NEW survey done for a combination.
- The new survey must show no line between the properties being combined.
- The survey must be done prior to coming in to apply for the combination and you must have a copy of the new survey with you when you fill out the application.
- If you are unsure if you are in a subdivision, please contact the Assessor’s Office at 706-276-2742 and the Planning and Zoning Office at 706-635-3406 to find out. If you are in the City of Ellijay contact Ellijay City Hall at 706-635-4711.
My parcels are not in a subdivision, can I combine them?
- If your parcels are not in a subdivision per either office, are not under a Conservation Use Covenant and meet ALL other required criteria, they can be combined without a new survey.
- You will come to the Assessor’s Office first, fill out an application and take it over to the Planning and Zoning Office/City of Ellijay to be approved and signed.
- Return the signed application to the Assessor’s Office to complete the application process. (NOTE: it will take several months for qPublic to update and show the combined parcels online.)
One or more of my parcels are under Conservation, can I combine them?
If your parcels are in a Conservation Use Covenant you MUST speak with our Conservation Administrator FIRST. Conservation properties have additional criteria that must be met when applying to combine parcels.
- Contact Planning and Zoning at 706-635-3406 for their policy on splitting parcels or if zoning on parcels do not match.
- If your parcels are located in the City of Ellijay or the City of East Ellijay please contact them for their rules on combination – City of Ellijay phone # 706-635-4711 Ext. 3 / City of East Ellijay phone # 706-276-3111